Friday, June 11, 2010

Paris: The City That Stole My Heart and My Wallet.

Paris.

The pitter-patter of cool rain is hitting my window creating a soft symphony of sound on this, my third evening at Le Rucher here in Cessy, France. The peace and nature I so needed while in Paris is found here. Being with Alberta, being in this breathtaking countryside, and transitioning into a new pace of travel is exactly what my soul needed. I feel myself becoming human again. I feel myself thinking again. And while it may seem like my eagerness to escape the city limits of Paris implies a hatred of the city, that is not totally the case. True, I will not miss the pickpockets, who stole my wallet, the overly creepy Parisian men who stroked my face while uttering things in French I am so glad I do not understand, or the smell of urine which seems to permeate every inch of the city. What I will miss is the sound of street musicians playing soothing basso nova down by the Seine, the dozens of parks oozing with flora and fauna, and the art and architecture which makes this city like no other. After the first couple of days, which mostly consisted of two girls and their 40lbs. bags pitifully trying to find their way around, things got much better. We moved into a 5th floor apartment right in the heart of Paris where we stayed with a friend of a friend, who happened to be the most lovely French girl and who become a great guide to the sights and to the finer cultural elements. During those days we took a trip to Versailles and saw the outrageously ornate chateau and walked the gardens of Marie Antoinette, we paid visits to the Louvre and the Musee D’Orsey, I must rave about the wealth of Impressionist art that the D’Orsey had…I was in heaven, and we saw the major sights: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triumph, Notre Dame, etc.

Notre Dame.


Place' de Republique.

Evening at the Eiffel Tower.

The Louvre
I was also able to spend some time with my friend Alla, who has been studying in Paris for the last few months. Alla and I had not seen one another since we worked together in the Bogodukhiv orphanage two years ago. Such a surreal experience to see her and spend time with her in Paris. She took us to her favorite crepe stand, showed us around the Latin Quarter, and had us meet the Parisian host family that she has been staying with. Again, city insiders prove to be the best guides.

On our final night in Paris we enjoyed a picnic on the Seine with our professor and his wife who have been staying in Paris. Seeing them again, about a week after our program had ended, was simply magical. It was like seeing family. I must admit, I did shed a tear or two, which might have also been induced by the fact that my wallet had been stolen about two hours before, but even so. I am continually reminded of how traveling with people bonds them together. Everyone’s best and worst is revealed, and its hard not to fall for people when you begin to understand them in such real life contexts.

So, I’m learning how travel. How to really travel – independently. It’s a terrifying and confusing process, but the learning curve is exponential. Post-Paris I feel as if I could tackle the world. But I’ll stick to my plan and enjoy this beautiful time I have with Alberta somewhere between France and Switzerland.

Cessy. Perfection.

3 comments:

  1. Gia!

    Oh i am so jealous you are in my favorite/least favorite city, Paris! haha I love reading your blog and you are an incredible writer. Continue to write more on Paris because i miss it and wish i could be there looking out off montmartre every night! I hope you are eating plenty of bread and croissants with chocolat in the middle oh and crepes, mmmmm!


    xxoo

    -Kendra your jealous Jeld Wen friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gia!!
    I love how you write--and thank you for the pictures of the city! I loved being there and it was wild at the same time!!!I loved the lights, magic of such a multicultural atmosphere, menus I could not read and YES the Coffee!! Didn't love the crazy drivers, aggressive sellers of tiny Eiffel Towers, and yes, that nasty smell I had long forgotten about.
    Pick pocketing is an official job listing in Paris --beware travelers who think they are smarter than those who have the skill to take what you have!!! Glad you are in Cessy!! completely different and welcomed experience...and your tour guide is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gia,
    Sorry about your wallet! It is still a wonderful city!!!
    Have fun in Italy

    ReplyDelete