Monday, April 19, 2010

Ferry to Ireland

On the ferry from Wales to Ireland.

Thanks to the Icelandic volcano, which persists in spewing ash and other debris into the atmosphere, most all flights in the UK have been canceled. This includes our flight to Dingle, Ireland. So, what would have been a few hours of travel has turned into a full day of bus rides and ferry rides. As odd as it sounds, I can’t say I’m not a bit relieved – I love avoiding the chaos of airports, and as I sit looking out the ferry window and down at the sea between Wales and Ireland, I’m thrilled to have such a view. Blue skies, sparkling waters – I almost don’t believe I’m in the rainy UK.

As for the going ons our last few days in Keswick, I was fortunate to take two different day trips. The first was to Beatrix Potter’s home and village on a nearby lake. It was wonderful getting to walk through her home and garden seeing so much of what inspired her and thus so much of what filled my childhood. Peter Rabbit, Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, Jeremy Fisher...I love you. Our next day trip was to the home and village of Wordsworth and many of the Romantic poets – Grassmere. Goodness, such beautiful country! As I stole a daffodil from his garden while muttering “I wandered lonely as a cloud” I couldn’t help but feel a bit closer to some of my favorite poets.

Outside Hilltop ~ Home of Beatrix Potter

Yesterday we went to the local church in Keswick, and as the pastor prayed for the queen and later quoted John Lennon, I was sure I had found myself in good hands. It wasn’t until the phrases, “God doesn’t laugh at your jokes, he laughs at your stupidity” and “human rights are pagan” began to emerge in the sermon, that I found myself a bit discouraged by the fire and brimstone feel of the place. I can only hope that the pastor didn’t see my looks of utter shock and disagreement, although, perhaps I do. The rest of Sunday, our last day in Keswick, was wonderful. We had a picnic at a local Rugby game, and while I can’t pretend I understand anything about the game, it was extremely entertaining. This was followed by the discovery of an absolutely delightful shop in town. Not only does this place sell beautiful photography printed on canvas among other glorious things, but they also have a tea/coffee shop inside. I’m putting the link here because you really must check them out (especially Erica…you would LOVE their craftiness).


A few shots from inside

And so, we are onto Dingle, Ireland. A land of ancient monastic settlements, Gaelic speaking citizens, and an array of biking and horse back riding opportunities. While a bit sad to leave beloved Derwentwater, Ireland is certainly an okay alternative at the very least.

Derwentwater Hostel...aka Old English Mansion

3 comments:

  1. Gia, I am glad you made it to Ireland, despite the volcano. The news makes it sound like a pretty big deal. I am working on a Peter Rabbit quilt (for future baby), so I am glad you made it to Beatrix's house (not Bellatrix).

    Love everything!
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gia,
    Dad and I are also glad you made it safely! I was a bit worried about your plane crashing due to ash in the propeller!
    We love you!
    Did the minister REALLY say that?????
    Love you!!!
    Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gia ... the good news is that you being farther west, and the wind blowing to the East ... hopefully skies will clear soon! I am scheduled to fly to Liverpool this Thursday night! Have you been to where the Bronte Sisters lived yet? It's such a cute little village! Also, the interesting thing to me about what the pastor said ... is it is helping YOU form your world view, deepen your christian ethics, so as sad as it is to hear things like that from a pulpit, we take the good, throw away the not so good, and pray that God keeps working in each of us! I love you much. Did I tell you your letter from your Russian Professor arrived here! love you!! Alberta

    ReplyDelete