Monday, April 5, 2010

Onto Keswick

Waking at sunrise to the sound of a waterfall and birds chirping.

We’ve left the bustling streets of Edinburgh, full of tartans, stone high-rises, and the crowds. This morning, we wake in Keswick, England. As part of the Lake District, our hotel is located right on the shore of Lake Derwentwater. High peaks loom around the lake and our hostel is neighbor to a waterfall cascading directly behind. We have entered rural England - where people come to hike, where sheep roam the slopes, and, of course, where Wordsworth lived and gained much of the experience and inspiration for his poetry.

But back to Edinburgh, because there are many wonderful stories still to tell about our time there. First, I must rave about the weather. Sunny, sunny, sunny! A glorious fact, considering not two days before they had accumulated about eight inches of snow. I’d like to think our coming brought the sun as well.

Well, upon our second day in Edinburgh we took a historical tour of the city led by a most spectacular tour guide, Morag, a native Scotswoman. She stole my heart the moment she sang us songs in the native Scottish tongue. We saw the graves of famous men such as David Hume and Robert Burns, walked the Royal Mile, took in views of St. Giles cathedral, and ended at the Edinburgh Castle. It was so much history to take in, and while a bit overwhelming, it was wonderful to orient ourselves with this city and the stories and lives that have been apart of its development.


The afternoon held a hike up Arthur’s Seat, a prominent peak located right in the center of Edinburgh. Climbing up the craggy trail, I half expected to see William Wallace running down towards me, in fact, I’m not sure I didn’t. Once reaching the top, we had the most breath-taking view of Edinburgh and the surrounding areas. The city, the sea, the mountains; we saw it all.

And then Easter Sunday. A day usually full of family, easter egg hunts and Don Fransisco was instead a holiday in a foreign country with peers. Even so, it was quite wonderful. We decided to attend a service at St. Giles cathedral located right on the Royal Mile. I cannot even begin to tell you what an amazing service it was. To be in a Cathedral drenched in art, history, and tradition was truly powerful. Not only that, but the choir was perhaps the most beautiful I have ever heard. The Scots can sing! I promise, no exaggeration here. The rest of Easter Sunday was spent studying at Black Medicine Coffee Co. – a coffee shop I could make a habit. My mocha was truly divine.

We begin classes here in the Lake District today, and the realization that we are here to attend school is starting to set in. This means more time spend reading and studying, and less time gallivanting around this beautiful country. With Dr. Reinsma as our professor, classes will be anything but painful though. I am looking forward to Chaucer, Shakespeare and Fowles!


Our wonderful professor ~ Dr. Reinsma

2 comments:

  1. Gia - your professor looks like a C.S. Lewis book cover photo! Fits right in! How fun for you. I never did make it to the Lake District in the 3 years I lived hours from there! Shame ... someday, I guess. Love reading your entries, but love you more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rocky crag bit Gia. I remember when we (my Dad and I) went hiking in the Ballyhoura Mountains, and I totally felt like I was in a movie. At one point we looked out over the surrounding countryside, and I spotted no less than THREE castles. Too cool for school.

    Stay safe! Drink Coffee!

    ReplyDelete